Saturday, February 9, 2013

Wanted....

Before we get to the books that have become a part of my wanted list and may someday be a part of my library I wanted to lock in some reviews that I will be getting to this week. Monday I will be publishing my review of RS Belcher's excellent first novel Six Gun Tarot and Thursday I will be doing another two from the hip with Mike Resnick's Doc Holiday books The Buntline Special and The Doc and the Kid.

Now my Wanted List...

Catherynne M Valente is one of my favorite authors she has written lots of short fiction i have really enjoyed and some novels I very much want to read. Six Gun Snow White is a novella that Subterranian Publishing will be printing towards the end of this month and as a mixture of the Fairy Tale, magic and western it's right up my alley and also along the lines of the reviews I plan tonfocus on this month.

For people unfamiliar with her fiction she has several short stories available to read for free on the Internet through venues like Lightspeed and Clarkesworld magazines. She also was the editor of the online magazine Apex which durring her tenure bought many short stories I very much enjoyed. She is deft at creating stories that blend elements of old fables and mythology with modern storytelling concepts like cosmic horror and steampunk. Her fiction is more then a mash up and well makes it hard to describe it other then to day she is a modern dark fable writer. Tor books posted a previe of Six Gun here.

Hope that like several other of Subterranian books this will get a larger print run in the future as a trade paperback since it sounds so good and more people should get the chance to read it.

 


The next book I just found out about earlier this week and was a project funded through Kickstarter last winter. Looking at the website here it looks like there is more then just a physical book to look forward to; there is a multi media app/book that has voice over and animated images (again you can see these previewed on the web site. The writer P.C. Martin wrote this Holmes Steampunk James Bondish mystery novella that is apparently around now and I'm quite tempted to try and find one. She is apparently quite a fan of the works of Conan Doyle and according to reviews wrote in his style in the novella.

As an aside I have been re-reading the Holmes cannon because of my enjoyment of the shows Elementary and Sherlock and the amount of time it's been since I read any of the stories. Really enjoying revisiting the Baker Street consulting detective. I'm going to at least give it an extended look.

 

This is the fourth volume of the weird western comic by Cullen Bunn and illustrated by Brian Hurtt. Sixth Gun is a weird western kind of along the lines of the novel I'll review Monday but with a totally different feel; its not so much a steampunk story as it is a horror tale as HP Lovecraft might have told if he wrote westerns rather then gothic cosmic horror. It has a widely mixed cast of characters including strong women and characters of color that are more then just white males in another guise. The art sets the mood for the comic along the lines of the stylistic reality ala Mike Mignola both real and fantastic at once. I have to be honest I've only read the first volume but it is something I want a complete collection of....

Bunn has a history of doing comics with pulp sensibilities including a series that followed a favorite of mine - Iron Fist from the marvel universe. Along with Jonah Hex the Sixth Gun is a good reason the check out western comics....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment