Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Jagannath Stories wins William L Crawford award for Fantasy fiction

Jagannath Stories the short fiction collection by Swedish author Karin Tidbeck was announced as the winner of the 2013 William L. Crawford award for fantasy from among some very great short listers. I bought a copy of this because of all the praise Jeff Vandermeer gave the speculative and weird fiction authors he got exposed to when he visited the Scandinavian area a cole years back. I plann to revie this book at length when I have finished it but from the selection of stories I've read it is pretty fantastic and worthy getting awards. Her stories, short though they are left me with both a that feeling of not so much dread that haunts American weird fiction but possibly haunted is a better word if you add an odd hopeful atmosphere. Her fiction resonates well well with me as a fan of China Mieville, Jeff Vandermeer, Catherynne M Valente and Jeffrey Ford.

Among the other short listed works was "Throne of The Crescent Moon" by Saladin Ahmed that is one of my favorite books from 2012 and one that I reviewed here. Both Rachel Hartman's "Seraphina" and Kiini Ibura Salaam short fiction collection "Ancient, Ancient" are books that I would much like to read and since Roz Kaveney's "Rituals" is in this company I have to check into it too.

I know with the Nebula's the Hugo's, the Tiptree and assorted awards its always nice to see a list of past winners to see the legacy of it so here is a list of past winners....

Prior winners include Jonathan Lethem, Charles de Lint, Greer Gilman, Judith Tarr, Kij Johnson, Joe Hill, M. Rickert, Daryl Gregory, Christopher Barzak, Jedediah Berry, Karen Lord and, last year, Genevieve Valentine.

So Karin and the other short listers have some great company....

No comments:

Post a Comment