Friday, February 1, 2013

A New Leaf

February is going to be an experiment for me.... I plan to post content daily here about speculative fiction and a fair number of reviews and columns. The overall idea is that I want to form better writing habits, expand my readership and and most of all get some exposure for books that may get overlooked. I've got a lot (and really I mean a lot) of books that I read over the last two years that I intend to revisit with reviews over the next few months.

This month I've got a a couple of themes I'm going to hit. I have my usual focus on the steampink and the weird that ill hit, along with the great pulp fiction revival that is going on but I hope to get a roll going with all the awesome weird western book out the right now. Weird westerns are quickly re-becoming a favorite genre of mine. In the 90's I was a big fan of Joe Lansdale and his blending of western and horror that reached its apex with Jonah Hex short graphic novels. So you'll be seeing some of these if not all over the coming month....

The most recent entry in the genre is the awesome and audacious Sux Gun Tarot by comic shop and award winning short fiction writer RS Belcher....

 

 

 

 

 

Another and very different entry from the last several years is the series written by Mike Resnick with his Doc Holiday centric weird tech and native magic series that starters with his treatment of the OK Corral shoot out called the Buntline Special (most likely to get the two from the hip treatment)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please the click to buy it now but I wanted to add MK Hobson to the mix because the weird romantic adventure to the mix since this belongs in this company and I have yet to give it a full review and I did quite love the book...

 

 

In addition there will be reviews of the RPG related genre novels from Evil Hat books, some of the marvelous novels from the small Canadian horror publisher ChiZine which also has some excellent westerns that I touched on before and will revisit soon....

 

Anyway it's ambitious and a risk but as with the first book I mentioned I want to be audacious....RS Belcher has inspired me....expect that review this week....

 

See you tomorrow for a Stacking the Shelves article.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment