Sunday, March 31, 2013

Dis-Functional Family

 

printSizeImage

Matt Fraction's FF is the one I go to when I want something different from my superhero comics; this isn't the gonzo science fiction title that it was under Jonathan Hicman. This story looks like it might just be a slow motion train wreck and I mean in a good way.

Scott Lang, Ant-man, is a damaged man trying to keep things together for the sake of the team and children he's been given charge of. Medusa, ever a favorite, is an enigmatic haughty woman with her own agenda yet to fully emerge. She-Hulk may just be the heart of this team being the most stable and thoughtful,of them. Ms. Thing, Jonny's rocker girlfriend come superhero wearing the Thing suit made by Reed Richards for Ben to use on his days of being human, is a wild card to me and more I see of her the more I'm liking her. The dynamics of this team are so different but still reminiscent of the familily of choice nature of the Fantastic Four.

Mike Allred's artwork is so niche only you'll know if its for you but I love the clean ness of his lines and the way to me it is reminiscent of Jack the king Kirby.

This books seems to about morality, choices and the repercussions that come from differing opinions about what is right.

 

With Jonathan Hickman mentioned above I have to mention this new title from this week too. From Image Comics comes a comic I've not had the chance to read yet but think is worth a look....East of West. I'll give you the solicitation info and you but ill say this first Hickman wrote some great science fiction stories on his FF series runs but they are that slow building kind of thing so patience may be necessary....

"OUT OF THE WASTELAND"

The things that divide us are stronger than the things that unite us. A Sci-Fi Western set in a dystopian America where all hope for the future rests in the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse...who just happen to be trying to kill the President of the United States.

One of the most exciting new books of the year, this is EAST OF WEST, a brand new, ongoing, monthly comic from the award-winning team of Marvel's FF, JONATHAN HICKMAN and NICK DRAGOTTA.

 

 

This week we also got the first issue of the "cosmic Avengers" title Guardiens of the Galaxy. I have yet to check it out and won't post about it till I do but I have hopes for awesomeness. I recall when the Guardiens were a team in the 30th century and made up of the odd characters Starhawk, Charlie 27, Martinex, Yandu and Captian Vance Astro. They're we're great future analogues to the Avengers with their similarities to some of the original and early iconic Avengers. This week ill be doing a spotlight on Wednesday about Science Fiction comics I have been enjoying.... and maybe about this incarnation of the Guardians....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment