Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday Comics

This week I read a lot of Marvel comics #1s I missed during the last ten years because of that free e comic day a few weeks back. I will say that the best thing I read this week was this and its from this week...

Indestructible Hulk is one of the 3.99 titles that I'm really interested in reading and with Walt Simonson back on as artist it was a must. I'll be honest here I picked up the first issue of this and loved it but with so many books coming out at the 3.99 price mark I opted to wait to read more of it. So jumping in on issue 6 was no problem you could easily get on now if you know a bit of marvel lore. The issue introduces some of the support cast chosen by Banner and the third person boxes in this issue are a hoot. Really great mix of science fiction and sword and sorcery fantasy here. Love the issue best for the week.

Look at the awesome of the above cover.... Tell me you don't want some of that....

 

Red She Hulk was the other cool read of the week and its another that I paid for as a real comic. The adventures of Betty Ross have been a pretty great mix of superhero punch outs and science fantasy weirdness... totally out of the pages of the pulps if they were in technicolor. This is one of the comics I really enjoy monthly but is kind of under the radar till its in my hands. This to me taps into that fringe of speculative fiction that gets called the weird that includes authors like The progenitor HP Lovecraft and the modern artists of the genre like Jeff Vandermeer, China Mieville and Mark Hodder. It's great pulp adventure filtered through the lens of authors like Hunter Thompson.

Next week I'll be doing my sci fi comics feature along with the Sunday comics column, till then excelsior ...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment