Sunday, June 9, 2013

R.I.P. Iain M Banks

Though this has been posted on various places around the web starting with the BBC I believe I felt the need to respect one of the best writers in speculative fiction who is now no longer around. It was announced this morning here that Iain M Banks died. He did not live to see the publication of his final novel which will be out later this month in the UK. I never had the opportunity to meet him in person but I have had the pleasure to read his novels and have more that I have not yet read. Wildly imaginative and wonderfully Scottish his writing wether it be crime or speculative fiction is something you should really try if you have not. He is survived by family, loved ones and friends who I hope got to spend time with him since his announcement of his illness weeks ago. He and his worlds will be missed but hopefully remembered for a long time.



 As an addendum below is a link to Charlie Stross' cogent comments on the loss to the fiction community...were I in charge of ordering at the shop I work at I'd have all Iain Banks' books on our shelves....


http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/06/fuck-every-cause-that-ends-in-.html

No comments:

Post a Comment