Saturday, August 10, 2013

Wanted Dispatch Aug 10...

This next week is pretty spare but has a couple things that are on my list... and little surprise here they are mostly short story collections....

The Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror edited by Paula Guran

For me the lineup of amazing short story authors is enough to see me on the collection. Laird Barron and Jeffrey Ford both write excellent and chilling weird fiction, Caitlìn R Kiernan has become one of my favorite one of my go to authors for modern dark fantasy after reading The Drowning Girl, adding in the queen of steampunk in my opinion,Genevieve Valentine, and the ever excellent Ekaterina Sedia, Joe Lansdale and... And .... And. Ok, run on and on sentence aside just reiterating the name s there with my insufficient adjectives to describe them is not a great endorsement for this collection so I will leave it at this, if you like darker moodier weirder folklore influenced fiction this is most likely the collection you should be getting this summer. Here is a link to Prime Books where you can see the complete contents and the source where they came from...

 

 

Tell My Sorrows to the Stones by Christopher Golden

Christopher Golden has worked in many genres including being one of the writers known for horror invited to write stories about Hellboy by his creator Mike Mignola. He's an accomplished author of novels and short stories and has been part of collaborative books with some of the best writers around so its a wonder I have read so little of his work. The fine people at ChiZine are publishing something that sounds very cool... Here is the synopsis...

A circus clown willing to give anything to be funny. A spectral gunslinger who must teach a young boy to defend the ones he loves. A lonely widower making a farewell tour of the places that meant the world to his late wife. A faded Hollywood actress out to deprive her ex-husband of his prize possession. A grieving mother who will wait by the railroad tracks for a ghostly train that always has room for one more. A young West Virginia miner whose only hope of survival is a bedtime story. These are just some of the characters to be found in this story collection. Introduction by Cherie Priest.

In addition on of the great perks about buying direct from ChiZine on the day of release (Aug 15) if you send them a copy of your real or electonic receipt you get to choose two of their other ebooks to get for free.

 

Celestial Inventories by Steve Ransic Tem

This is yet another collection by ChiZine of dark fantasy short fiction. Steve's name is familiar to me, I know I have seen itin many magazines over recent years and I may well have read his work but based on the synopsis of this he is someone who I really should be aquatinted with. Here is a link to the ChiZine site and the synopsis for your reading pleasure....

Celestial Inventories features twenty- two stories collected from rare chapbooks, anthologies, and obscure magazines, along with a new story written specifically for this volume. All represent the slipstream segment of Steve Rasnic Tem’s large body of tales: imaginative, difficult-to-pigeonhole works of the fantastic crossing conventional boundaries between science fiction, fantasy, horror, literary fiction, bizarro, magic realism, and the new weird. Several of these stories have previously appeared in Best of the Year compilations and have been the recipients of major F & SF nominations and awards.

Ok seems this is the extent of the things I am hankering to purchase this next week... Never will I have the time to read all the great books I would have if I got them all...

Take care

 

No comments:

Post a Comment